We’re looking for an experienced technical leader to support and grow our team within Boost, while also continuing to be an individual contributor at most two days a week. The Boost team consists of 20 consultants and will be growing to 25 this year. Together we’ll build both great products and a great team.
As Director of Software Development, you will mentor other developers on the team across a wide range of topics, including technology, consulting, and client relationships. You’ll also work to build up the skills and capacities of our engineering team, support teammate participation in the different programming communities we’re members of, and provide guidance, scoping, and support with business opportunities. You’ll work together with the Managing Director and Design Director of Boost, alongside global thoughtbot leadership, to manage the business and success of the Team.
The Boost team is spread across the Americas, covering time zones from UTC-3 to UTC-8.
Improving Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) is a priority at thoughtbot; because our team is located across the Americas, you will work to foster an inclusive culture across multiple countries and time zones.
This is a fully remote position and is open to applicants located anywhere in the United States.
Salary and benefits vary by location. The US salary range for this role is $163,125 – $195,750.
We believe that it is possible to continuously learn and improve the way people work while building higher-quality products that make positive contributions to the world. We work with companies in every step of the product development and maintenance process to help identify and solve problems. We lead and participate in product design sprints, build high-quality apps, and then deploy them.
We proactively work on improving diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) at thoughtbot. We aim to maintain an inclusive work environment where everyone can thrive professionally, as well as have full lives outside of work. Read about our DEI efforts in the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion section of our Playbook. We acknowledge that DEI work is never done, and that we will make mistakes along the way. We are continuously working on learning, improving ourselves, and the company.
As a member of thoughtbot, you’ll be part of our distributed remote community. We’re continuously working to assure remote work is inclusive, collaborative, comfortable, and social.
Beyond hands-on technical work, you’ll support the Boost development team through:
- Professional development: Because we’re often embedding thoughtbot teammates alongside our clients’ teams, we look to build up our skill sets to support engagements ranging from feature work and bug fixes to refactoring, re-architecture, reducing performance bottlenecks, introducing new front- and back-end technologies, and making suggestions on product, process, and software development life cycle improvements. As a technical leader, you’ll be responsible for teammate upskilling and professional development.
- Hiring new teammates: We expect to continue to grow the Boost team for both technical consulting and adjacent roles. As a technical leader, you’ll be responsible for maintaining high standards through the hiring process while continuing to work to reduce bias and ensure an equitable interview process for all candidates.
- Retaining teammates: We aim to put each teammate in a position where they can seek fulfillment in all that they do; as Director of Software Development, you’ll work closely with team leads and the development team to understand what fulfills them, and work with the Design and Managing Director of Boost to ensure our work aligns with the desires of the team.
- Identifying and closing work: More than two-thirds of the clients we partner with return for additional engagements; as Director of Software Development, you’ll work closely with our teams and clients to ensure high-quality work is delivered and engage with often technical stakeholders at upcoming and current customers to scope and plan consulting engagements.
- Navigating consulting engagements: As software consultants, we work closely with our clients on a number of different types of engagements. In all cases, we’re brought in to consult on best practices and process improvements alongside technical work, the nature of which can be challenging given the need to navigate sometimes complex business relationships and needs across cross-functional teams.
Along with the other Directors on Boost, you’ll be responsible for profitability of the team.
Very well-qualified candidates will also have experience leading consulting teams, and have a proven track record of attracting potential customers and maintaining long-term relationships.
Well-qualified candidates value diversity, equity, and inclusion, and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment.
We especially appreciate candidates that demonstrate commitment to valuing DEI and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment. We also understand that not everyone has had the opportunity to commit to this work, and that’s okay.
We encourage you to apply even if you don’t match 100% of the requirements. Let us know if you need any specific accommodations during the interview process.
All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification upon hire.
thoughtbot cannot sponsor work visas at this time.
For US-based team members thoughtbot pays at least 90% of the medical insurance premiums for individuals, 80% for their families for all medical plans, and 100% of the premium for employees and their families for our core dental plan and vision coverage. We cover disability insurance, basic life insurance with the opportunity to buy up. We also offer a comprehensive 401(k) plan with company match and immediate vesting. Team members accrue 20 paid vacation days and receive 11 paid holidays per year in addition to 10 paid sick days. New parents receive at least 6 weeks paid parental leave, as well as the ability to take up to 6 months off.
Our team works in a relaxed and educational environment to develop excellent products for our clients. We work a sustainable pace of 40 hours/week. We also reserve at least 4 weeks per year for investing in ourselves, the company, and our community. Everything we do is predicated on having a great team and a culture of growing. We use the latest technologies and are always down to try new methods on both internal and client projects.
thoughtbot does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, age, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other reason prohibited by law in provision of employment opportunities and benefits.
thoughtbot does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from a candidate. Any unsolicited resumes not originating directly from a candidate and sent to thoughtbot or any thoughtbot’s employees, including unsolicited resumes sent to a thoughtbot mailing address or email address, are rejected. thoughtbot will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume. thoughtbot considers any candidate for whom the recruiter has submitted an unsolicited resume referred by the company free of any fees.